Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

12 years old

So, the other week I was driving to pick my mom up from work. Earlier, I had almost crashed* because Brantley Gilbert - My Kind Of Crazy, came on the radio. Of course I had to turn it up, roll down the radio and scream it at the top of my lungs. The only thing I'd change? Closing my eyes. Minor details, I know. But let me tell you, when you've got your eyes closed and you pick the perfect place to daydream - Driving a car down a busy street, when those other cars start honking... Well, let's just say they ruined that dream pretty quickly. Instead, they made me open my mouth and eyes as wide as they can go, GASP and throw my hand up to my heart to see if it was still beating! Real safe guys, thanks.. 

Anyways, back to my story...

I was driving to pick up my mom. I got there. Parked and sat in the car complaining to myself that she was taking to long. All of a sudden, I spot these kids. They were probably about 12 and on the verge of being homeless. If they hadn't done what they did, I might have went to Zellers and bought them some mittens and shoes that weren't flipflops. Or if they really wanted to wear those flipflops, I would have bought them some socks. You're walking around in summer clothes, obviously socks and sandles wouldn't have been a big deal either. They started skipping to their lou. Literally. You know when you're 5, or 15 and you hold your friends hand and yell "lets skip!" ...That's what they did. A part of me wanted to join them but another part said, "No Ashley, just observe these interesting and soon to be idiotic creatures." So I did... And you know what they did? 

Sat on the car and started eating each others faces. Now, I'd say they were kissing if that's what they were doing but they weren't. They looked like they were chomping at a juicy piece of steak that was just out of reach. 

I did sit there for about 2 minutes. Half of me was so amused that they found this aligator chomp to be attractive and half of me was so surprised they'd sit on a car where someone was inside, watching them. Eventually it wasn't really funny anymore so I honked the horn. Took some lessons from the people earlier that day, lay on it long enough a couple times and you get your point across. Now, the girl just sort of jumped, turned and looked at me. The guy however, sat up straight and about 10 seconds later, reacted. If I was wondering what I had looked like when I had my little situation earlier, I sure think he nailed it.

Really though, what the fuck are you doing? You're 12. When I was 12 I was still playing with Barbies and wearing pink bubble gum pleather pants while I wore my PollyPockets around my neck.


* I'm a real good driver. I just got caught up in a moment with Brantley.. And when I say other cars started to honk, I mean none did. But I'm sure they would have if my brother didn't ask me what the hell I was doing just in time for me to slam on my breaks and snap back to the reality of my Brantley-less life.

No comments:

Post a Comment